Saturday, July 17, 2010

7.29

 

I got in 7.29 miles this morning before the air turned to liquid and the temperature spiked.  Things were going rather well until somewhere around mile 5.  My right knee ached.  Not a dull ache, but a searing hurt that made me want to curl up and cry.  But I kept going.  After all, I drove myself today and needed to get back to my car.  The biggest downside to this trail is that absent the parking lots, there are extended stretches where you couldn’t be easily picked up or gotten to in case of emergency.  But I digress…

I kept walking, doing the best I could, but the only way I was able to take step after step without falling down was to turn my foot outward and try not to bend my knee.  Every so often my knee would give and I was afraid I’d tumble, but I’d stop for a moment, try to get things situated and go on.

At 7.29 I was coming to a spot where the trail goes under an overpass and there was a well-worn trail leading to the sidewalk running to the road.  I limped up the little incline, sat down on the sidewalk (it’s not a heavily traveled road so it’s not like I was sitting in the midst of lots of traffic.  although at that point, I may have) and called X, tears in my eyes and after apologizing for the unexpected wake up call, X was out the door to get me.

I got to my car, slowly climbed in and made my way home.  It’s not how I thought this morning would play out, but I have a better idea of my limits as far as pain is concerned.  And 7.29 miles is better than no miles at all, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment