Saturday, August 28, 2010

9.2

 

I woke up early and started at the end of the trail.  The end is less busy than the beginning, which I prefer.  I think it may be less busy because it isn’t convenient to most people and because an out and back path for shorter distances seems easier to plot based on the location of the rests areas/parking lots.  But I digress…

It was nice and cool this morning, only about 64 when I hit the trail.  I actually had on a shirt over my tank, very exciting to volunteer to wear extra layers in August in Missouri.  I felt wonderful as I hit the second parking area (2.35 miles) and kept going to the third (4.64 miles).  I stopped there for some stretching and to catch my breath a bit.  After a few moments I started back towards the trail head.

There is something odd about an out and back on a trial because while you ought to know what is coming, it really does look different from the other direction.  This particular trail runs along a river so it’s all green space and some woods, making it nice scenery for a long walk.

While making my way back, I could feel my muscles starting to burn some but as my knees and hips weren’t too angry I was happy.  When I hit mile 7ish on my route I knew I didn’t have too far left, but I also knew I was getting tired and sore.  More sore than tired, which I think is a good thing, but still.  I didn’t stop at this parking area as I knew there was another just over a mile away and I wanted to keep going.  Part of this whole thing, the half and Crohn’s, is that I want to keep going and I’m not giving up.

I hit the last parking lot before getting back to the trail head and as much as I wanted to just push on, I made friends with the picnic table and gave my legs a break.  After a few minutes I was on my way again, knowing that I didn’t have much time to go.  When I came around the bend and saw the parking lot waiting for me below, I could feel the smile cross my face.

I was happy to see the end because it meant I had gone further than I had before.  It meant that I didn’t give up and call for a ride.  It meant I pushed on even when I wanted to lay down in the grass and let the dew cool me off.  Seeing the end gave me a great preview of how things will feel in Las Vegas in December.  I loved it.

9.2 in the books for today.  3.9 more and I’ll have the distance I need. Until then, that visual will keep me going.

No comments:

Post a Comment