Sunday, January 2, 2011

A follow up, finally. And big plans.

I posted in December that race weekend with Team Challenge was amazing.  Sadly, that word doesn't even come close.  I came home on a huge high and couldn't help but smile and even tear up a bit when telling people about it.  It was the best experience I could have hoped for and the more I talked about it, the more I processed it, and the more I understood what my being there, what Team Challenge and CCFA mean.  I was sure from the moment I crossed the finish line that I wanted to do it all again.  As the days passed I was hoping that the feelings I had weren't fleeting and weren't just some strange adrenalin reaction.  I'm sure now they weren't.

December was busy for me with a business trip just after Vegas and a much needed family vacation the week before Christmas.  But I couldn't get Team Challenge off my mind.  I also couldn't get off my mind the itch to be out walking, jogging, anything.  The weather had been more than cooperative before Vegas, letting me get the miles in outdoors.  And while it hasn't been a bad winter by any stretch, it has gotten fairly cold (it's supposed to be in the 40's next week which is great, but not to be counted on).  I did my homework and today I got my new treadmill.  I spent 3 hours putting it together, made sure it worked, then walked upstairs and tried to forget it was there.  I'll be thrilled that it's there tomorrow after work, but for now, it's resting, as am I.  I am so happy to have it because it lets me work out when I want, not when the weather and work are cooperating.  It lets me work around my Crohn's and not feel like it has any more control than it already does.  And it means I'll be working towards crossing the finish line in Vegas on December 4, 2011 with a quicker time and less nerves about the miles.

I'll be in Vegas in December, hopefully as a mentor.  I had so many questions throughout the training process that without the wonderful coaches and mentors that Team Challenge has, I'm not sure I could have even come close to any of my goals.  I want to help make the experience great for other people.

Fundraising will start early summer again, and hopefully all of the amazing people who donated to make research, trips to Camp Oasis and services for people with Crohn's and colitis possible, will see all the good they have done and will be willing to step up and help again.  The smile on my face certainly shows all the good that has been done, and I think that'll go a long way.

This year is starting off wonderfully, and without a serious Crohn's flare to keep me down for so long like last year, it's going to continue just the same way.  This year - big things!

No comments:

Post a Comment