Monday, June 21, 2010

Change of Plans


I’ve been thinking and thinking about just how far away July 2011 is.  I’ve thought about all the things that can happen in just over 12 months, and just how many of those things I can’t even fathom.

Take for instance getting sick.  I didn’t plan for it to happen this past January and when it did, I certainly never thought it would be as bad as it was.  In fact, I was sitting in my doctor’s waiting room January 15, 2010, texting with my friend Melanie (she’s my friend but I’ll admit to borrowing her from my sister).  She was giving me a few details on the half marathon she did in Las Vegas the month before, telling me about the fundraising, the training, all the important stuff.  I couldn’t have possibly known that two days later I’d be admitted to the hospital and that I’d spend the next 27 days there.

Now, please don't misunderstand.  I’m not planning to get sick like that again.  Ever again.  I’m thinking positively.  I’m seeing myself cross the finish line with a friend so sweet to take this journey with me at a slightly slower pace than she did last year.  I’m seeing my body and mind get stronger and I’m seeing Crohn’s becoming something more of an afterthought.  But being a planner, being someone who likes to know, at least a little bit, what’s around the bend, only being able to control so much of all of that is a little hard for me.

In and amongst the things I can’t control is also the weather.  While I’m rather certain that Napa Valley in July is spectacular, I’m also rather certain that it’s hot.  Las Vegas definitely conjures images of sweltering heat, but in December, it’s generally a much more palatable temperature.  Having started my training in Missouri summer heat and humidity, a slightly chilly 40 degrees sounds like a much better walk to me.

So after weighing everything that was running amuck in my head, I ended up with the conclusion that the Rock and Roll Half Marathon in Las Vegas on December 5, 2010 was the way to go.  Not that I won’t get out to Napa to see it all…it will likely just be for a much less strenuous vacation than I had previously planned.  I’m excited about my decision.  And excited that E will be joining me.

The journey continues – it just has a different end point.

No comments:

Post a Comment